I think this might be a year of the female author. I’ve been thinking for weeks now that I’ve read some really great books by women this year, and the last two weeks I’ve read amazing books by women. I’ve even thought at some points about only reading female authors for the second half of this year, but I’m not one to restrict my reading list in any way. Plus I’m about to give Cormac McCarthy another shot.
I veer away from saying “the” year for female authors, because that makes it sound like one has never happened before and will never happen again. But here’s a list of good books by women that have come out this year so far, and that I’ve read.
- Vampires in the Lemon Grove, Karen Russell
- Frances and Bernard, Carolyn Bauer
- Life After Life, Kate Atkinson
- Z, Therese Ann Fowler
- The Flamethrowers, Rachel Kushner
- The Interestings, Meg Wolitzer
But don’t take my word for it…